Frequently Asked Questions

Our office is located at 1010 Tenth Street, Suite 2500 Modesto, California. The building is on J Street, between 10th and 11th Streets. Our office is on the second floor with the Treasurer/Tax Collector. Our office is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Our website is

Court fines must be established in person. You must bring a valid photo ID, the Minute Order and all other paperwork from the court to 1010 Tenth Street - Second Floor - Suite 2500.

Be prepared to provide a valid address, phone number, date of birth, social security number and employment information. Be advised that failure to set up your account is a violation of California Penal Code 1214.1 which results in a $300.00 Court Violation Civil Assessment added to your account.

You may be asked to provide cell phone end email authorization for contact purposes.

Accounts assigned for collection at Revenue Recovery are due in full. We will make payment arrangements based on your income/assets if you cannot pay the balance in full. However, if you receive additional income, such as a tax refund, inheritance, or other additional income, we will expect this additional income to be applied to your unpaid balance.

Based on your last name, you may contact your Collector as listed below:

AA-CZ: -  -  -  (209) 525-4457
DA-HN:   -  -  (209) 525-4456
HO-MI:   -  -  (209) 525-4461 Spanish
MJ-RZ: -  -  -  (209) 525-4454
SA-ZZ: -  -  -  (209) 525-4460 Spanish

There is no grace period; however, to speak to a representative for payment arrangements, please call (209) 525-4450 or contact your individual case manager based on your last name:

AA-CZ: -  -  -  (209) 525-4457
DA-HN:   -  -  (209) 525-4456
HO-MI:   -  -  (209) 525-4461 Spanish
MJ-RZ: -  -  -  (209) 525-4454
SA-ZZ: -  -  -  (209) 525-4460 Spanish

You may send a check or money order to our mailing address:

Stanislaus County - Revenue Recovery
P.O. Box 1003
Modesto, CA 95353

Please make the check or money order payable to "Stanislaus County - Revenue Recovery." Please include your account number on the check or money order.

Payments may also be made online, in the office, or over the phone.

You may also set up automatic credit card or banking payments by completing the Auto-Payment Agreement and mailing it to:

Revenue Recovery
PO Box 1003
Modesto, CA 95353

Copies of the payee's Photo ID and both sides of the card or check are required. You may also scan the form and copies and email them to moc.ytnuocnats@yrevocereunever or fax everything to (209) 525-4347.

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and E-Check. Please call us at (209) 525-4450 if you need more information. Please have your credit card ready for processing. Please note that the 24/7 pay line,
(877) 382-9228, only accepts Visa and MasterCard.

No, our office must process the payment by the due date.

If we did not receive your payment, then your next step would be to verify that the check or money order was cashed. If it was not, then you should inform us of the check/money order number and reissue the payment. If your check/money order was cashed by the county, then your next step would be to give us a copy of the front and back of the cancelled check/money order so that we may properly research your payment or account.

Your monthly statement has a place for change of address and phone number. You may also make changes by e-mail to moc.ytnuocnats@yrevocereunever (include your account number), in person at Revenue Recovery, 1010 10th Street, Suite 2500, in Modesto, or by telephoning a representative at (209) 525-4450. If you change employment, please include the name and address of your new employer. Also list home phone, work phone, and cell phone numbers.

There are a number of reasons that could explain this. The most common being that the statement was generated before the payment was posted. Your statement has a "BILLING DATE" on it. If you mailed your payment around or after that date, your payment will be on your next statement. If you are unsure, you may call a representative at (209) 525-4450 to verify when your payment was posted.

The balance on your statement may not include amounts being collected through other means or accounts that are not in an "active" status.

Each charge is assigned a different account number and then put into a single packet of accounts for each person. Any of the account numbers under your name are valid and may be used to research your entire account history.

Revenue Recovery participates annually in the California Franchise Tax Board Income Tax Refund Intercept Program. Small Claims judgments, court ordered fines, restitution fines, probation costs, attorney fees, and delinquent unsecured taxes, are some of the types of eligible accounts that are subject to tax refund intercept. These accounts are due in full when the judgment is ordered or when they become delinquent. Installment payments may be made based on your income. Tax refunds are considered extra income and are taken to pay any unpaid amount due. To protect against having your tax refund intercepted, it is important to pay your account in full.

Revenue Recovery participates in the California Franchise Tax Board Court Ordered Debt Program.

If you have a debt that is ordered through the Court, you are responsible for clearing the balance in full. Failure to clear the balance in its entirety or to keep an authorized payment arrangement may result in assignment to this program. More information may be found by following this link: Access Your Account.

When a delinquent tax becomes subject to unsecured collection procedures or an unsecured tax bill becomes delinquent, a summary judgment specifying the amount of tax due (including interest, penalties, and costs) may be filed with the Court and recorded by the Revenue Recovery division of the Treasurer/Tax Collector's office. The lien is upon all personal and real property in the county owned by the assessee (taxpayer) or subsequently assessed or acquired by the assessee before the judgment expires in 10 years. A judgment may be renewed twice for an additional 10 years each time. Contact the Revenue Recovery division of the Treasurer/Tax Collector's office for payoff information at (209) 525-4450. Upon satisfaction (payment), the office will record a release of lien.

The release must be recorded in all Counties in which the judgment/lien was recorded.

Please contact the Stanislaus County Clerk Recorder's Office for current filing fees. The phone number is (209) 525-5250. The office is located at 1021 I Street, Suite 101 Modesto CA 95354. You may also visit their website at:

If Revenue Recovery has requested and received judgment against you, it becomes a public record item. Public record items are picked up at the Recorder's Office by the different credit reporting agencies. These items can also remain on your credit file for seven (7) years. Revenue Recovery does not put them on your credit report; therefore, Revenue Recovery cannot take them off. Once they are paid and a satisfaction is provided, (which you must pay a fee and have recorded) it will be shown on your credit report as a satisfied judgment.

Depending on the charge, you may need to contact the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, one of the Courts or other departments. For more information, please contact us by calling (209) 525-4450.